Apply for PFCI Membership
If you love talking about flowers and present programs for garden clubs or industry groups, you're already half way to getting the recognition you deserve. The hard part is talking in front of a crowd; filling out an application is easy.
PFCI Application Deadline: Jan. 31, 2014
Download the PFCI Membership Application (Word Document).
PFCI Audition Presentation Guidelines
Need help with your PFCI Audition DVD? Watch this video. It was produced for the benefit of prospective PFCI candidates wishing to produce and submit an audition presentation to be evaluated by the PFCI Board of Trustees. The video will cover the points listed on the PFCI Application.
PFCI Membership Application Timeline
January: Application deadline Jan. 31
- March: The PFCI Board of Trustees reviews applications annually during its Spring Meeting.
- May: Applicants are notified of their application status.
- September: The PFCI Induction Ceremony takes place during the Industry Awards Dinner at the SAF Annual Convention.
PFCI Member Benefits
Professional Floral Communicators - International is a network of professional floral business educators certified by SAF. Each member of PFCI has proven, through their education and experience, their ability to speak authoritatively about the principles and elements of floral design, the proper care and handling of flowers and effective business management techniques.
PFCI credentials reflect professional expertise.
- With 125 members, PFCI is a prestigious professional organization. The membership review process requires candidates to document presentation, publication and leadership experiences, receive recommendations from three PFCI members or show sponsors and submit a DVD/video of a live program presentation.
- PFCI members are recognized as floral business educators.
- The Tommy Bright Award, presented during the annual SAF Convention, salutes a PFCI member for lifetime achievement in the field of floral presentation.
- Read "Getting Your Letters" from Floral Management magazine.
PFCI promotes hiring a PFCI speaker.
- The PFCI Membership Directory provides PFCI members with exposure to groups looking for speakers. It is searchable by Name, State or Company; New Members; Expertise; Programs for Floral Industry Professionals; and Programs for Public Audiences.
- Classified advertisements for “Need a Speaker?” are published in Floral Management magazine.
- “Successful Events: A 12-Step Guide to Organizing Programs that Educate, Motivate and Captivate” helps groups plan programs and recommends hiring a PFCI speaker.
- SAF refers reporters to PFCI members for flower trends information.
PFCI provides leadership opportunities.
- PFCI programs offer members opportunities for leadership and skill development.
- Former members of the PFCI Board of Trustees have gone on to serve on the American Institute of Floral Designers National Board of Directors, including: Walter Fedyshyn, Tina Stoecker and Sharon McGukin.
PFCI events are popular and exciting.
- PFCI coordinates the U.S. floral industry’s longest-running annual, live floral design competition.
- Smithers-Oasis provides $3,000 in awards money with $2,500 as the grand prize and two honorable mention winners receive $250 each.
- It is one of the most popular events at the SAF Convention, drawing standing-room-only crowds.
- The competition provides leadership opportunities for PFCI members who serve as judges.
- The new hard-goods product demonstration is one of the most popular events at the SAF Convention, drawing standing-room-only crowds.
- The Showcase provides leadership opportunities for PFCI members who serve as commentators. It gives wholesalers and suppliers an opportunity to see PFCI members in action.
- The PFCI Board of Trustees presents seminars of interest to up-and-coming speakers and PFCI members. These programs include: Creating Your Style; Keys to Communication; Professional Lifesaving Lessons; Speaking the Language of Sales & Service; Bridal Sense, Scents & Cents; Creating Brand You; Thinking On Your Feet/SpeakEasy and Verbal, Visual, Vocal.
- PFCI members receive complimentary registration to these seminars and have access to seminar materials for use in their own presentations.
- The seminars provide leadership opportunities for PFCI members who develop and present them.