John H. Walker Award
To recognize the growing importance of association executives in the workings of the Society of American Florists and to honor the contributions of SAF's former long-time Executive Vice President, John H. Walker. In 1979, after his retirement from SAF, the John H. Walker award was first given to honor him.
- Recipients must be employed (i.e. paid staff) by a member association of SAF.
- Recipients must have a minimum of three years continuous service with a member association.
The Awards Committee Will Specifically Consider:
- Creative and substantial implementation of industry and SAF-sponsored programs beneficial to member associations (and their individual members) and our various other publics.
- Enrollment or attendance at professional schools, seminars, meetings or courses which tend to contribute to an executive's ability to better serve member associations and their members.
- The nominee's service in leadership positions in professional societies and organizations dedicated to professionalism in association management.
- The nominee's involvement in civic and community organizations.
- Evidence of a nominee's sharing his management skills and abilities with associations and association executives.
- Evidence of a nominee's sharing his management skill and abilities with associations and association executives.
- The nominee's contributions and achievements to his or her association.
- Nominations must be endorsed by the president of the employing association(s) and will be accepted annually.
2014 - No Recipient Chosen2013 - Russ Barley, AAF, AIFD, CFD, FSMD
Emerald Coast Flowers & Gifts2012 - No Recipient Chosen
2011 - No Recipient Chosen
2010 - No Recipient Chosen2009 - DuVal "Butch" Johnston, AAF
Johnston's Quality Flowers, Inc.
2008 - No Recipient Chosen
2007 - Drew N. Gruenburg
Society of American Florists
2006 - Augusto Solano
2005 - Rodney Crittenden
Michigan Floral Association2004 - James Wanko
Wholesale Florist & Florist Supplier Assn.
2003 - Benjamin Bolusky
Florida Nurseryman & Growers Assn.
2002 - Robert Otsuka
California Flower Market
2001 - Dennis Kirven
Ohio Florists' Association
2000 - No Recipient Chosen
1999 - Peter J. Moran
Society of American Florists
1998 - No Recipient Chosen
1997 - Dianna L. Doss
Texas State Florists' Assn.
1996 - Bob Heffernan
Connecticut State Florists' Assn.1995 - Thomas C. Shaner
1994 - Archie J. Clapp
1993 - No Recipient Chosen
1992 - Bob Briggs
Colorado Greenhouse Growers Assn.
1991- William Carl Plummer
Arkansas Florists' Association
1990 - Donna Cameron
Northwest Florists' Association
1989 - Robert Heron
Professional Allied Florists of Metro Detroit
1988 - Wil Carlson
Bedding Plants, Inc.
1987 - Jim and Gen McCarthy, AAF
North Central Florists' Assn.
1986 - Floyd W. Johnson
Greater Milwaukee Florists' Assn.
1985 - Dr. Harry Tayama, AAF
Ohio Florists Association
1984 - Melvin H. Schwanke, AAF
Nebraska Florist Society
1983 - Michael A. Caliandro, AAF
California State Florists Assn.
1982 - Mildred P. Michie
Professional Florists of Mississippi Valley
1981- Charles Barr, AAF
Connecticut Florists Association
1980 - James Krone, AAF
1979 - Richard G. Klingman
Colorado Flower Growers Association
American Carnation Society
Keywords: awards, John Walker