John H. Walker Award
To recognize the growing importance of association executives in the workings of the Society of American
SAF Awards Committee Member Tom Butler, AAF, PFCI presents Russ Barley, AAF, AIFD, CFD, FSMD
Florists and to honor the contributions of SAF's former long-time Executive Vice President, John H. Walker. In 1979, after his retirement from SAF, the John H. Walker award was first given to honor him.
- Recipients must be employed (i.e. paid staff) by a member association of SAF.
- Recipients must have a minimum of three years continuous service with a member association.
The Awards Committee Will Specifically Consider:
- Creative and substantial implementation of industry and SAF-sponsored programs beneficial to member associations (and their individual members) and our various other publics.
- Enrollment or attendance at professional schools, seminars, meetings or courses which tend to contribute to an executive's ability to better serve member associations and their members.
- The nominee's service in leadership positions in professional societies and organizations dedicated to professionalism in association management.
- The nominee's involvement in civic and community organizations.
- Evidence of a nominee's sharing his management skills and abilities with associations and association executives.
- Evidence of a nominee's sharing his management skill and abilities with associations and association executives.
- The nominee's contributions and achievements to his or her association.
- Nominations must be endorsed by the president of the employing association(s) and will be accepted annually.
To nominate an individual for this award, click here to download and print the nomination form.
2013 - Russ Barley, AAF, AIFD, CFD, FSMD
Emerald Coast Flowers & Gifts2012 - No Recipient Chosen
2011 - No Recipient Chosen
2010 - No Recipient Chosen2009 - DuVal "Butch" Johnston, AAF
Johnston's Quality Flowers, Inc.
2008 - No Recipient Chosen
2007 - Drew N. Gruenburg
Society of American Florists
2006 - Augusto Solano
2005 - Rodney Crittenden
Michigan Floral Association2004 - James Wanko
Wholesale Florist & Florist Supplier Assn.
2003 - Benjamin Bolusky
Florida Nurseryman & Growers Assn.
2002 - Robert Otsuka
California Flower Market
2001 - Dennis Kirven
Ohio Florists' Association
2000 - No Recipient Chosen
1999 - Peter J. Moran
Society of American Florists
1998 - No Recipient Chosen
1997 - Dianna L. Doss
Texas State Florists' Assn.
1996 - Bob Heffernan
Connecticut State Florists' Assn.1995 - Thomas C. Shaner
1994 - Archie J. Clapp
1993 - No Recipient Chosen
1992 - Bob Briggs
Colorado Greenhouse Growers Assn.
1991- William Carl Plummer
Arkansas Florists' Association
1990 - Donna Cameron
Northwest Florists' Association
1989 - Robert Heron
Professional Allied Florists of Metro Detroit
1988 - Wil Carlson
Bedding Plants, Inc.
1987 - Jim and Gen McCarthy, AAF
North Central Florists' Assn.
1986 - Floyd W. Johnson
Greater Milwaukee Florists' Assn.
1985 - Dr. Harry Tayama, AAF
Ohio Florists Association
1984 - Melvin H. Schwanke, AAF
Nebraska Florist Society
1983 - Michael A. Caliandro, AAF
California State Florists Assn.
1982 - Mildred P. Michie
Professional Florists of Mississippi Valley
1981- Charles Barr, AAF
Connecticut Florists Association
1980 - James Krone, AAF
1979 - Richard G. Klingman
Colorado Flower Growers Association
American Carnation Society
Keywords: awards, John Walker